The Sunday Currently Vol. II

August 12, 2018



Reading

Mostly essays from The New Yorker (awow, intellectual) because I impulsively bought an annual subscription -- they slashed it to just $6! -- when it popped up on my screen for the nth time yesterday. I guess their retargeting strategy worked, then. (I think I should've subscribed to Medium instead, though.)

Oh, and I'm also reading up on the intentional or minimalist lifestyle. Some takeaways from Simply Fiercely:

"Intentional living is asking yourself why you do things – and being happy with answers."

"Intentional living doesn't mean you have your whole life figured out. But it does mean having a purpose behind your actions."
This one's nice too:


"At its core, minimalism is the intentional promotion of the things we most value and the removal of everything that distracts us from it." – Joshua Becker, Becoming Minimalist

And this one:


“The quality of your commitments will determine the course of your life.”– Ralph Marston

Writing

Still that thing about living with strangers and making homes out of shared spaces.

Sidenote: I attended the YS workshop on writing personal essays hoping to get into the writing groove again (and maybe even pitch this to the editors) but the rain wouldn't let up and every other inconvenience and roadblocks snowballed from there.

Such as: I got stranded, my umbrella broke, I only caught the last five minutes of the talk, I was too anxious to join the group for the pitching session, etc. etc.

Listening

As I am easily distracted, it took me over a week to finish the Designing a Life podcast episode of Tim Ferriss and Debbie Millman. But it's great!!!

Disclosure: I thought Debbie Millman would look more like your aunt who'd bake Christmas cookies and knit sweaters just because (I bet she does, though) but holyyyy crap, she looks more like that aunt who chugs vodka straight out of the bottle during a family event. (Nothing wrong with that – it just surprised me, haha.)

Watching

I watched Like Father last Friday and so, of course, unsurprisingly, I cried. But secretly, because I didn't want my roommates to notice and I didn't have the emotional energy to explain my daddy issues at 11 pm. It was waaay to close to the Fragile Hours and the damage could be so, so much worse.

Thinking

'Bout that green parka I saw at an ukay-ukay yesterday. I was already at the counter when I decided not to buy it because 1.) I have self-control, 2.) I will not waver, 3.) I will not easily give in to my consumerist desires, and 4.) Beautiful as it is, it's far too pricey.

And also... moving forward. I'm thinking of moving forward. I just have to figure out which way that is.

Wishing

This coffee shop would take it easy on the AC. It's literally storming outside, sis.

Hoping

I can finish my to-do list for today before I freeze in here.

Loving

Bangkal. It's the residential neighborhood where my office is located and it's rife with thrift shops and eateries and dog shit. It's amazing and I'm in love with it overflowing, smelly sewage and all.

Feeling

Like I'm running out of time.

Clicking

Some fun and interesting reads:


The Sunday Currently was originally by SiddaThornton.

You Might Also Like

0 comments